SharePoint URL Changing

There are two main ways that I change the URL of a list or library on a SharePoint site. First off I’d like to explain why I often have to do these tricks. Whenever you create a new SharePoint site from a template, even after you change the names of all the lists and libraries in a web page, the URL will still reference what ever the template lists were called.

Option 1 – SharePoint Designer

To change the URL in SharePoint designer, open your site using the URL “http://HOSTNAME/sites/SITENAME” and this should give you list of items in the left hand column resembling the screenshot below:

SharePoint Designer Column

You should see that the bottom option says “All Files“, double click this and go into “Lists“. This will show all of the lists on your site and you should see that they are all using the old name which is the cause of the incorrect URLs. Simply rename these lists to what ever you need and the URL will change.


Option 2 – File Explorer

If you don’t see the “All Files” section in SharePoint designer then this method can be used instead. Open a file explorer and navigate to your site. You can see how I have done this below:

File Explorer

Now go into “Lists” and you should be able to see the incorrectly named lists. Simply rename these lists and the URL will change.


I’m not sure why the “All Files” section in SharePoint designer doesn’t show so If anyone can shed some light on that I would be appreciated. Enjoy!

Mailto in SharePoint String Builder

Bit of a weird, one off sort of thing. I was creating a workflow in SharePoint which would send an email. On this email would be an “Approve” and “Decline” button. The decline button was easy enough to do but the approve button turned out to be a complete pain in the back side.

First of all, I would like to tell you to not use mailto whenever you can. There are better programs out there. Trust me. If anyone knows any really good ones that they standby please feel free to leave a comment.

The mailto syntax is basically this:


This looks simple enough but once you want to start doing some more complicated features/formatting that would otherwise be quite simple in HTML, become near impossible here. Especially with it being in a SharePoint string builder box.

What I wanted was for there to be three lines of text, two in which got information from the SharePoint form to fill in the information and one for adding text. By the way if you didn’t know, to add a new line you can use “%0d0d“.

That’s: percent sign – zero – delta – zero – delta

This is the final code that I ended up with:

mailto:RECIPIENT@EMAIL.COM?cc=[%Current Item:Created By%]&subject=Approval Authorisation for [%Current Item:Created By%]&body=The remote access request for [%Current Item:Created By%] has been approved by [%Current item:Manager's Name%]%0d%0dThe reason for approval is - [%Current Item:Reason for approval%]%0d%0dPlease specify any limitations below:

Here is a picture just in case you want to see it and below that what the actual email looks like:

String Builder


I would like to add that you will have to change the “Add or Change Lookup” so that it finds the “Display Name”, otherwise the users will show as the default SharePoint format which isn’t as good looking. You can see this below:

Display Name

Hope you enjoyed and found this useful. I may to an entire blog trying to outline the possibilities of using the SharePoint string builder and “Define E-Mail Message” features. Suppose you’ll have to wait and see.